There are certain tasks and chores in life that few of us would think about carrying out on our own – fitting a new engine into the car, rewiring your home’s electrical system, cutting down a 60-foot tree in the garden, or tiling the roof. When such jobs need to be done, we tend to call a professional, knowing they’ve got the tools and experience to do the job properly, safely and efficiently. So it seems strange that so many people think that house painting and home decorating are something they can do themselves and expect a good result, even if the last time they painted something was in a high school art class.
The truth is that painting is actually a highly skilled job, and achieving a professional, long-lasting finish on your internal and external walls only comes with experience and insider knowledge – of paints, techniques, color management, and preparation. So, if you’re thinking about painting your house, here are some reasons why you should bring in a pro.
Choose The Right Painting Company
Take the time to speak with friends, family members, and neighbors in the area. Speaking with your inner circle could help you narrow down your options. Have any of them recently hired a house painting service?? Ask them about their experience. For example, ask if they experienced any issues working with the contractor. You can also ask if they were satisfied with the quality of the painter’s work. If your inner circle can’t make a personal recommendation, that’s okay. Turn to online resources. Make a list of residential painter options to research further. Then, look for a painter that has years of experience working on homes in the area. You can check the Better Business Bureau to learn more about each company’s history. See if the partner is a member of any trade associations. Usually, this indicates their company is stable. It could indicate the painter is dedicated to their trade, too. Consider how long the company has run and operated as well. A well-established business has likely gained the trust of homeowners in the area. Chances are, they’ve outlasted competitors in that time, too.
You can also learn more about the painter’s experience by asking about their most recent projects. Ask the painter if they can provide photos that showcase their work. Reviewing these photos can help you see proof of their work.
Does their work meet your expectations? If their work fails to meet your standards, it would be wise to consider hiring a different painter who can deliver the results you desire..
Pros / Cons of Doing It Yourself
For DIY enthusiasts, painting your own home has its own set of benefits. Here are a few advantages of painting your home yourself:
1. Cost: The biggest benefit of painting your own home is the cost-savings. Hiring a professional painter can be expensive, especially if you have a large home. With DIY painting, you can save a lot of money. All you need is paint, brushes, and a few other supplies and you’re set.
2. Satisfaction and Control: One of the great things about DIY projects is the satisfaction you get from completing them. When you DIY, you have complete control over the design and outcome. Painting your own home will give you a sense of accomplishment and pride.
Painting your own home isn’t without its drawbacks. Here are a few drawbacks to DIY painting:
1. Time: As mentioned, DIY painting takes longer than hiring a professional. It’s important to be realistic about how long the job will take. If you don’t have the time to spare or need the job done quickly, it’s best to hire a professional painter.
2. Mess: Painting can be messy. If you’re painting with a brush or roller, you may end up with splashes of paint on the floor or walls. Professional painters know how to avoid these messes. If you don’t have the patience to clean up your messes, then it’s best to leave the job to the professionals.
Pros / Cons of Having It Professionally Done
Hiring a professional painter to paint your home comes with a variety of advantages. Here are some of the benefits of working with a professional painter:
1. Professional Results: Professional painters have years of experience and know how to apply a flawless finish. Working with a professional will allow you to achieve a professional-looking finish that you may not be able to replicate on your own.
2. Quality Workmanship: Professional painters know the ins-and-outs of paint surfaces and have access to the latest tools and materials. This allows them to achieve a better-looking finish than if you were to paint the house yourself. Professional painters also know what areas to focus on and what works best for different types of surfaces.
3. Saving Time: Professional painters are efficient in their work and can complete the job in a fraction of the time it would take an inexperienced individual. If you’re in a rush and need the job done quickly, then it’s always best to leave the job to the professionals.
Hiring a painter isn’t without its drawbacks. Here are a few potential downsides of working with a professional painter:
1. Cost: As mentioned, professional painting services can be expensive. If you’re on a tight budget, hiring a painter may not be the most cost-effective option. It’s important to consider the size of your home before committing to hiring a painter.
2. Quality: While most professional painters deliver exceptional results, there are times when the quality of their work may not meet your expectations. If you’re looking for a perfect finish, then it’s best to hire a painter with a proven track record.
Ultimately,the choice between DIY painting and hiring a professional depends on your specific needs, budget, and desired outcome.. If you’re on a budget, have the time to spare, and want complete control over the design, then painting your own home may be the best option. On the other hand, if you need the job done quickly and want a professional-looking finish, then hiring a professional painter is the way to go. No matter which option you choose, make sure to do your research and take into account all the potential benefits and drawbacks of each option.